Friday, February 29, 2008

THE LIGHTNING THIEF by Rick Riordan

Percy Jackson is a troubled kid who’s about to get kicked out of boarding school again, but that doesn’t seem to be the worst of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters have tried to kill him. He then realizes that the stories of the Gods are true and worse, Zeus believes Percy has stolen his Master bolt and says that if he doesn’t return it by the summer solstice he’s dead meat. So Percy sets out on the thrilling adventure of a lifetime with his best friend Grover and a daughter of Athena to the place no hero has ever returned from, the underworld Hades domain. Percy will have to endure viscious monsters, unaccustomed abilities, and a power greater than the Gods themselves. Percy learns that he is Half-Blood half human half God mother Sally Jackson Father? Hint: GOD of the Sea. My favorite part in the story is when Percy had to confront the God of War, Ares, in a treacherous battle sword to sword because Percy has enough courage to even confront the War God alone and to beat him is“Amazing”. I think this scene taught me a valuable lesson because no matter how big someone is it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t stand up for what you believes in. I also like this part because Percy finally realizes how good he is and what he can do and he’s pretty good for his age, and beating the God of war in combat is pretty cool too. Ares had Percy beat 50 to 1 so I predicted Percy was going to get his tail whipped but he didn’t. Another thing I like about this part is how intense it was; I can visualize it in my mind and I saw clashing swords, fiery winds, and a fight for survival. So Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief is definitely a go to book. I would recommend it to anyone who’s interested in Greek Mythology.

Julien

No comments: